African Cichlids Ireland

native marine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

native marine

Post by Whiteside on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm

i have been thinking about this for years now, i have a caravan down by the sea and me and the kids find all sorts of cool stuff living in the rockpools, caravan opens this weekend, i would only keep them till the caravan closed in sept-oct, as i would have no way of doing water changes,

my wife thinks i'm a weirdo lol the kids would love it, i think it would be very interesting, the only thing i can think could go wrong is the water getting to warm in the house, was thinking freezing water in a coke bottles and placing it in the tank, have one in the tank and one refreezing and swap them about, dont know if this would be too cold (will test this first)

what do yous all think, am i a weirdo? laugh ever seen anyone do it? any tips?
Whiteside

Back to top Go down

Re: native marine

Post by Paul on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Have seen a good few of them on another forum, they look class yep Some serious colorfull creatures in our waters. I know they all lived close to the water like yourself and did the daily water change, but as far as tips as to what to do, sorry! Best of luck with ti mate , thats what makes these things fun, trial and error thumbs up Best of luck with it mate
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiteside on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

cheers paul, dont know if there's any law stoping me doing it?? dont want to end up in jail for stealing water or something lol
Whiteside

Back to top Go down

Post by phily t on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 pm

weirdo laugh go for it thumbs up
phily t

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:24 pm

ure not aloud to lift anything of the beach or shore ie stones fish seaweed but really whos to stop u
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiteside on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 pm

phily t wrote:weirdo laugh go for it thumbs up

lol!

pauladair1994 wrote:ure not aloud to lift anything of the beach or shore ie stones fish seaweed but really whos to stop u

now thinking about it, you don't need a fishing licence to fish in the sea. where i plan on going anyway there's nobody around, i will put the running shoes on axechase
Whiteside

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:47 pm

The fishing licence to fish for cod would cost u about 70 grand lol
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiteside on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm

lol did not know that mate, i take it thats just for fishing boats doing it for a living?, and not wee me standing with a fishing rod thumbs up
Whiteside

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiteside on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:13 pm

have been thinking, saltwater evaporation takes place it leaves the salt behind rising the saltwater salinity, so if i am doing water changes with sea water i am not diluting it and the salinity would end up too high. i think real reef keepers use auto top off things which replaces the evaporation with non salted ro water so it keeps a stable salinity, would i need to do this????
Whiteside

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:11 am

I think if u were fishing on the peir and u had say 5 or 6 cod and fishery officer came down the pier u would get ticked off or took of u they r r really strickt
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdeja on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 am

You would also need a cooler to keep the temp low and stable. You would get away with some crabs, rock, seaweed and so on if its only for a few weeks in the caravan. Justbring a small tank and catch the crabs and critters with the kids and pick out what to put in the tank.
mickdeja

Back to top Go down

Post by minky on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:35 am

I think this is an awesome idea, i always used to go hunting in rock pools when i was younger, catching blennies, gobies and shrimps then putting them into a clear plastic bucket. It was great fun as i used to spend my holidays up the north coast. Most of the rockpools are quite warm so i could say they would be ok in an caravan, but i would make sure you top it up with cold saltwater every day just incase. Give it a go and see how things work out.
minky

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewo on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Like Paul said many quite a few have ventured down this road already thumbs up
andrewo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top