African Cichlids Ireland

where do they go

View previous topic View next topic Go down

where do they go

Post by zungaro on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 pm

see so many young large growing catfish and other fish sold in local fishshops-tiger shovelnose,giraffe ,redtails,pacu,cigar barbs,sturgeon,red snakeheads,silver arowanas.do they virtually all die or are there people with near adults of these fish about,just wondering does anyone know of mature specimens ?

zungaro

Back to top Go down

Re: where do they go

Post by maggy88 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 pm

there seems to be a lot of what will eventually be "monster fish" around these days, and some places that stock them don't seem to care if the buyers will be able to house them fully grown, i think that any aquarium fish that grow bigger than a certain length should be banned from being brought in in large numbers, and should only be brought in on special order at the request of the buyer, assuming they can house the fully grown specimen comfortably long term.
maggy88

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy80 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Jordy80

Back to top Go down

Post by davcummo on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

great question..seen many debates across forums on this..

id say 99.999% are dead and that very little even reach 10$of their natural size,ive offten seen "monster fister" being sold along with some tetras and barbs,even the amount of common plecs sold is unreal
davcummo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm

These should be illegal to sell really or some form of serious restriction even a big high price would reduce there numbers being sold and only the true keeper would go after them. I would say a lot die or worse get flushed its a shame. The first question in any sales assistant lips should be what size is your tank? But really a oiund is a pound at the end of the day.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:55 pm

I was just having a discussion on the same subject earlier. I've heard people talk about a problem we have at the moment with tankbusters, I just don't get it though. Its not as if the classifieds are bursting with people trying to offload big fish. I honestly think that in most cases the people that buy these (and other) fish just aren't capable of keeping fish alive for long enough so that they reach the size to be a problem. Even with goldfish, live bearers etc. most fishkeepers (obviously not the ones on this site yep ) just can't keep them alive for more than a few months...

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by maggy88 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 pm

i think for a lot of people having a fish tank is just a novelty, they think it's easy and don't understand how much care and attention is actually required. if you look on the classified sites every day there are 4 or 5 setups for sale. now i know most fishkeepers are serious and have a passion for the hobby but not all are as dedicated as the people on this forum. but again it comes down to some of the dodgy retailers who just want to sell rather than actually help people realise what is involved and then sell them the likes of bala sharks and clown loaches as starter fish without explaining the sizes they can attain.
maggy88

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Personally can't think of anyone who keeps any of the monster fish now
Kelly

http://africancichlidsni.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy80 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 pm

The only time these fish should be kept- is if you have a suitable tank to put them in. Which sadly, is very rarely the case.
Jordy80

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Im one whos against it, dont think they should be allowed sold to public at all. I just think most should be kept for public aquariums only, and not household. If you keep a large dog in a puppys cage and feed it, it will live. But it will live a shitty life. Thats just me thumbs up To each and there own really though, not one to judge

Last edited by Paul on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffter on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Is there any large public aquariums in the country that shows tropical and would take them maybe? .... if not why not and whats the potential something like that would be a good wee tourist attraction .... would be my dream job to have a 'rescue centre' for fish ... big and small lol
fluffter

Back to top Go down

Post by minky on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 am

To be honest any fish that is kept in an aquarium is not fair, as long as the fish is in good health, feeding well and even breeding is good. But i do admit some people just cram oversized fish in tiny tanks which is bad.
minky

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Fully agree but there is no house aquarium big enough for these fish, You can keep a small fish in a large tank were at least there is room and a chance for them to replicate territorial patterns and move in all directions freely. Than at least your giving it as close to its natural habitat as possible. With these monster fish , most are put into large tanks were they really cant do any of the above. Its lucky if the 4ft fish can swim 2 meters and turn around? With no chance of territorial or simulated life conditions at all. But when in public aquariums they can live just as well as the smaller species live in are home aquarium. A half decent life thumbs up In my opinion just feeding and spawning isnt enough. As said you could easily breed and feed dogs in a puppy's cage but its not good living. But iv always been a strong believer in never judging people and let each be to there own wink
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum