African Cichlids Ireland

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

African Cichlids Ireland
African Cichlids Ireland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

puffer fish

+6
Kelly
andrewo
bigcatman
2poc
davcummo
pauladair1994
10 posters

Go down

puffer fish Empty puffer fish

Post by pauladair1994 Fri May 18, 2012 7:25 pm

has anyone ever kept freswater puffer fish my son wants to get a tank for these and just wondering does anyone no anything about these which ones to keep etc
pauladair1994
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

puffer fish Empty Re: puffer fish

Post by davcummo Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 pm

avril keeps one,and 2poc as ar as i know..

i think you can only one per tank.
davcummo
davcummo

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Nice one Dave, this is my fahaka puffer

puffer fish Puffer2

@pauladair1994
Fahaka puffers are big brutes, get 18 inches long and bite anything that moves so not a great choice for a first puffer.

What size tank do you have? Puffers are sensitive critters (especially sensitive as they have no scales) so important to get the right fit.

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by 2poc on Fri May 18, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 Fri May 18, 2012 9:00 pm

My sons tank is 2 by 2ft wat are the water perimeters your puffer is lovely what size was hevwhen u got him how old is he and are they hard to get also was he expensive
pauladair1994
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by davcummo Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 pm

super pic patrick,i heard all about this bad boy..

stunning
davcummo
davcummo

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc Fri May 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Cheers Dave, puffers are a great fish. Its the one fish that I could never sell, you really do form a relationship with them like you would a dog or a cat.

2 by 2 is a niced size tank for smaller puffers.
My puffer is African and requires hard water, high PH. Typically they can adapt well to different water chemistry but nitrates can wipe them out.
I have mine about 3 years, she's about 13 or 14 inches I'd say. You can only keep one Fahaka in a tank as it will kill anything else, even its own kind (there are exceptions, some people keep them with other fish with mixed success). Price-wise I think fahaka puffers go for around 40 Euro for small specimens.

For a 2 foot tank I'd recommend looking for some C. Irrubesco puffers (red tail, red eye puffers). They are little stunners, can be kept in groups & arent insanely aggressive. They stay small and you should be able to pick them up for less than a tenner. C. Lorteti are a very similar species so gotta be careful which you get as Irrubesco are calmer and nicer fish. (Both sometimes sold just as 'red eye puffers')

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by 2poc on Fri May 18, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcatman Fri May 18, 2012 9:25 pm

I had a pig face puffer for a while ,it was about 4 inches in length .They dont do much ,just lie in wait for anything they can eat .If they cant swallow it whole they bite chuncks of just .Stay clear unless you want to keep one fish in your tank .I think the hairy puffer is something similar
bigcatman
bigcatman

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewo Fri May 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Thats a great pic Patrick! thumbs up
Some very good advice too; fair play
andrewo
andrewo

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 pm

@bigcatman, the congo puffer doesn't do a whole lot alright.. The red morph is beautiful though.

Congos are lurkers, Irrubesco are far more active and engaging which is why I'd strongly recommend them.

@andrewo glad you like her wink

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Did anyone ever see the one that grov had when they where on the beersbridge road it was massive and had teeth like a baby, from what I remember it cost them a fortune to feed as it ate tiger prawns, but you'll be okay on that one Paul thumbs up
Kelly
Kelly

https://africancichlidsni.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc Fri May 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Sounds like a mbu puffer Kelly.
Mbu are the largest freshwater puffers, followed by the fahaka.

Gotta feed all puffers hard shelled food - e.g. snails, mussels as a significant part of their diet to keep their teeth worn down.

Re: prawns, my fish eat about 15 quids worth of prawns a week, they're killing me, I don't eat as well as them...

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Fri May 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Honestly don't know what it was I just remember the teeth on it, someone else will know with a bit of luck someone might have a pic of it
Kelly
Kelly

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 Sat May 19, 2012 12:47 am

I remember it kelly think it was an mbu it was mean looking i couldnt catch eniugh prawns to feed that beast
pauladair1994
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidlover7 Sat May 19, 2012 1:07 am

hi the puffer they had was called rover he was a mbu i have a mbu puffer he eats cockles in shells they are fresh water puffers but they grow very big the one i have is in with clown loaches and a snowball pleco hes more like a dog to be honest his eyes follow you class fish will post some pics
cichlidlover7
cichlidlover7

Back to top Go down

Post by 2poc Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 am

cichlidlover7 wrote:hi the puffer they had was called rover he was a mbu i have a mbu puffer he eats cockles in shells they are fresh water puffers but they grow very big the one i have is in with clown loaches and a snowball pleco hes more like a dog to be honest his eyes follow you class fish will post some pics
Looking forward to seeing it, love mbu puffers. Pity they get so huge, 7000 litres is the recomended tank size for an adult eyes

2poc

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 am

R the mbu puffers hard to get
pauladair1994
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy80 Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 pm

pauladair1994 wrote:R the mbu puffers hard to get

Grosvernor has one at the minute for sale, £90. A friend of mine got the other one- she's a member on here cichlidlover7 pm her and she could give you a bit of info. thumbs up
Jordy80
Jordy80

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy80 Sat May 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Sorry she has already posted above! Lol
Jordy80
Jordy80

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sat May 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Kelly wrote:Did anyone ever see the one that grov had when they where on the beersbridge road it was massive and had teeth like a baby, from what I remember it cost them a fortune to feed as it ate tiger prawns, but you'll be okay on that one Paul thumbs up

Yes Kelly i remember that tank and puffer very well, it was up beside the counter. I wonder who has that tank now as it was a biggy, make a good malawi tank :)

That is one nice puffer 2poc, and a good bit of advice aswell, thanks for sharing thumbs up
minky
minky

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat May 19, 2012 1:59 pm

cichlidlover7 wrote:hi the puffer they had was called rover he was a mbu i have a mbu puffer he eats cockles in shells they are fresh water puffers but they grow very big the one i have is in with clown loaches and a snowball pleco hes more like a dog to be honest his eyes follow you class fish will post some pics
So whats a mbu
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Sat May 19, 2012 4:58 pm

minky wrote:
Kelly wrote:Did anyone ever see the one that grov had when they where on the beersbridge road it was massive and had teeth like a baby, from what I remember it cost them a fortune to feed as it ate tiger prawns, but you'll be okay on that one Paul thumbs up

Yes Kelly i remember that tank and puffer very well, it was up beside the counter. I wonder who has that tank now as it was a biggy, make a good malawi tank :)

That is one nice puffer 2poc, and a good bit of advice aswell, thanks for sharing thumbs up

They lost the fish when they moved so one of the staff said thumbs down
Kelly
Kelly

Back to top Go down

Post by pauladair1994 Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Cheers jordy
pauladair1994
pauladair1994

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Kelly wrote:
minky wrote:

They lost the fish when they moved so one of the staff said thumbs down

Thats a pity! was a beauty. Do them puffers actually puff up. Ive never seen one in real life puffing up before.
minky
minky

Back to top Go down

Post by cichlidlover7 Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 pm

mine hasnt puffed up but i think thanks good as grosvenors told me they puff up when unhappy or feel threatened so i am happy enough he is now eating 5 cockles a day i miss out feeding him every 3rd day that was there advise about feeding he has also started to eat alage wafers
he is in 300l tank at the minute cause hes only 5 " but i will move him on as he grows i want him to grow as big as possible x
cichlidlover7
cichlidlover7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down